Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Vegan Take on Scrambled Eggs

I miss eggs. Scrambled, Fried, Omelettes. They are so easy to make to get a protein-packed breakfast. Since I can't eat eggs, I usually eat oatmeal or some kind of smoothie for breakfast. But every once in a while, I crave something savory in the morning. Luckily, I found a recipe that allowed me to do this. I decided to twist it around a bit to make it my own. I've eaten this for the past two days for breakfast because I ran out of oatmeal at my place, and I'm hooked. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Tofu Scramble

1 lb. Extra Firm Tofu, cubed
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Onion, chopped
1 c. Mushrooms
1 Zucchini, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
Red Chili Pepper Flakes
Salt

Start by cooking the onions in the olive oil over medium low heat for about 3 minutes or until they start getting transparent. Add the garlic and the red bell peppers and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and zucchini, and finally, the tofu. Cook until heated through. Add chili pepper flakes and salt to your liking. If you want it more savory, add more salt. If your looking for a spicy kick, add more chili pepper flakes. Best served hot, but tastes great reheated!!

Serves 3-4. Like I said, it is still great reheated, so even if you are cooking for one, I recommend making the full recipe.

This recipe is so good for you thanks to all the vegetables you are getting, and still provides plenty of protein to get you through the day. What's not to love?




No comments:

Post a Comment