Monday, March 8, 2010

Props to Sprinkles, Food, Inc. and Jamie Oliver.

What a day, I need to rant.

First of all, Anna and I made a trip to Sprinkles Cupcakes in Beverly Hills today. It was great to get away from the office for an hour. Of course, seeing as I'm avoiding wheat, eggs, dairy AND sugar, I didn't expect to be eating cupcakes today. BUT, I do commend Sprinkles on having a gluten-free cupcake and a vegan cupcake. I asked if they can make a cupcake that is both gluten-free AND vegan and they told me they've had an overwhelming amount of requests for such a cupcake, so it could definitely happen soon. Way to go Sprinkles! Now find a way to sweeten them without sugar and I'm yours forever.

#1 show premiere I'm most excited for this spring: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I read his mission and watched some previews, and let me just say: WOW. I love what this guy is trying to do and I sincerely hope he succeeds. He is basically trying to revamp the way America eats, starting with the unhealthiest city in the nation (somewhere in North Carolina). He's already met so much resistance, but I can't wait to see him change people's minds. It sickens me that people are so set in their ways that they are willing to turn a blind eye to what they are eating. Its easier, cheaper and more convenient for them to eat crap, and then they wonder why diabetes and childhood obesity are so prominent. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE! The answer is staring you right in the face! Be proactive about it! Anyways, I'm just glad someone is doing something on national television. I'll be watching every step of the way, you can count on it.

Lastly, I watched "Food, Inc." today. Very eye opening. Very anxiety-inducing. But most definitely a movie you have to see. Thankfully, they pushed arguements that I already believe in, eat locally and organically, stay away from GMOs, stuff like that. What really irked me is that GMO corporations have prevented the government from passing laws requiring products to be labeled if they contain GMOs. This lady was like "we dont want to freak people out when they dont have all the facts". Idiot. The fact is, eating stuff that doesn't occur naturally isn't and will never be good for us. Our bodies weren't made to digest that junk. This is the reason people like me have allergies. Did you know gluten is derived from corn? Scientists have manipulated corn to create so many different things, plus its fed to the animals we eat. No WONDER corn allergies are popping up everywhere! We are literally on corn overload! Gross! Basically here's my big point: I have allergies. I eat the way I do because of them. But more than that, I'm starting to eat this way because it makes sense. Think about it. Why eat something you can't pronounce? How can that be good for you? Eating healthy is simple: Don't be stupid, use your head. We can't blindly follow the government or anything. They are trying to help us but they can't do everything. We have to rely on ourselves to eat what is good for us. We have to be the change. No one is going to do it for us. And it starts with only purchasing food that is healthy. Because if we all by that, companies will see the revenue it is generating, and hopefully only sell those foods. Baby steps, people. Be smart, thats all it takes.

1 comment:

  1. You go, girl!
    I ate some tortilla chips the other day -- they tasted so good but UGH afterward!!

    ReplyDelete