Saturday, March 6, 2010

Super Easy Mushroom Rice

So, as I've mentioned, I'm not much of a cook. I don't have the time or resources to create gourmet meals in the kitchen. In fact, most college students, as well as working women, don't have time to cook intricate creations either. That is my audience. Those are the people I'm trying to help. I've been developing easy ways to make quick, gluten-free, allergy-free meals that are still enjoyable. Other people have it easy, they can cook top ramen, TV dinners, and mac and cheese if they are pressed for time. Not us. I believe we are blessed because of it. It doesn't have to be hard for us.

This is one of my favorite quick dinners to make. I had to run to work Thursday night, and I knew I didn't have much time to cook. This recipe left me beyond satisfied. For the rice, I recommend cooking a bunch of brown rice and refrigerating it for future use. But if you don't even have time for that, I recommend frozen/microwavable brown rice. Try Annie Chun's or Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's is my personal favorite. They have frozen rice that comes in individually portioned packets, and they only take about 3-4 minutes of microwave heating.

Mushroom Rice
3/4 c. rice, or individual packet of frozen rice
1/2 c. mushrooms, more or less depending on preference
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme

For you protein lovers, cubed chicken or tofu can also be added to this recipe. I didn't use either because I simply didn't have the time to cook it. It really depends what you are in the mood for, but no worries, it's plenty filling without chicken or tofu.

Cook the rice as directed on the package. In the meantime, saute the mushrooms in the olive oil over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. Mix the rice and mushrooms in a bowl with the oregano and thyme. And viola, you have a delicious meal in minutes! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment