Thursday, March 31, 2011

A tasty way to get your greens!

Due to my new venture of becoming vegan, I've fallen in love with leafy greens. Wow, that is something I never thought I would say. I think the reason I'm soo into them right now is that I've found ways to make them new and exciting, a far cry from the extreme bore that are salads. Get this...I'm even eating greens for breakfast these days. I've gotten plenty of weird looks from people I've shared this fact with, but seriously, you guys don't know what you're missing!

I challenge you to try this recipe. Maybe try it for lunch or dinner first, I know how hard it can be to give up breakfast carbs (I used to be a cereal addict). I promise you'll eventually fall in love with your greens too and you'll feel so much better eating this than processed cereal for breakfast!

Sweet Breakfast Greens

2 c. leafy greens of choice (I love collards, kale and or rainbow chard)
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 medium Fuji apple, cored and diced
1 tbsp. pumpkin seeds, hulled
Cinnamon to taste

Heat the greens and the apple in the maple syrup over medium high heat until apple is soft. Add pumpkin seeds and cinnamon, cook another 30 seconds and serve! Makes one large serving.

Try it! I know it sounds weird but I promise you can train yourself to like greens when a little maple syrup is involved! Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. yum that sounds really good! Im going to try it! thx sarah!

    ReplyDelete