Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pecan Apple Brussel Sprouts

When I was a kid, I HATED brussel sprouts. My mom would have to force them down my throat, they were the worst. It wasn't till I got older that I realized brussel sprouts prepared well can actually be pretty damn good. And they are so healthy for you, definitely an added benefit. This recipe can me made vegan or omnivorous, or as a side by omitting the protein.
Brussel Sprouts with Apple and Tofu

1 lb brussel sprouts, shredded
1 medium apple, diced
1/3 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. cubed tofu or chicken
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. water
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Put the brussel sprouts, water, and some salt in a frying pan over medium high heat. Cook 7-10 minutes. Add apple, maple syrup, tofu and garlic and cook 3-5 more minutes. Remove from heat, toss with lemon juice, pecans, salt and pepper. Serves 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment