Thursday, March 10, 2011

Queen of Sheba

I consider myself a bit of a contradiction. Despite being extremely limited in what I can eat, especially when it comes to restaurants, I absolutely love being adventureous with food. I will honestly try anything as long as I know it is free of animal products and all my other sensitivities. Unfortunately, I don’t get to do this very often.




I’m especially into experimenting with random ethnic foods because after eating whatever I wanted in Greece and feeling great, I think there is a lot to be said for the quality of food in some other countries. I had a lady come into the store a few weeks ago who told me about Ethiopian food and how its mostly naturally gluten and dairy free. I was sold immediately, and I’ve been researching places to try it out ever since. I decided on Queen of Sheba because I’d seen mostly positive reviews and heard they make their signature bread gluten free upon request.



The place is on MLK Boulevard in Portland, and we almost missed it cause it looks like a waiting room or something instead of a restaurant. The server was extremely knowledgeable. I told her all my sensitivities and she was able to recommend 4 dishes that would be safe for me to eat. My friend Pete had no idea what to get, so she was able to recommend something for him as well.



The service was super speedy, I don’t think we waited more than 15 minutes. They bring your food out to you on these giant plates with the signature Ethiopian injera bread underneath what you ordered. You don’t use any utensils, instead, you rip off pieces of the bread and scoop the food up that way. The bread is basically in crepe form but it tastes more like sourdough. We both thought eating with our hands was pretty awesome. I got a trio of mustard greens, chickpea paste and lentil stew and it was all incredible. I finished everything which was probably a mistake, I always forget how freaking full you can get off plant based foods.



I honestly cannot WAIT to go back to this place!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about Ethiopian food. I love Injera, I love teff. A lot of other countries have many traditional gluten free foods too. I'm like you, adventurous in spite of being gluten free. So I blog about the traditional foods I've found over the last 25 years that are gluten free.

    You can check it out here: http://www.gluten-free-around-the-world.com/index.html

    Have fun!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete