Friday, August 20, 2010

Curried Chicken and Squash

There is just not enough time in a day. I wish I could make the blog more of a priority, I just feel like I always have so much going on! But I refuse to leave you hanging as long as I did last time, so I'll jump right into it.

I've been wanting to test out this recipe for while, but to be honest, I'm a little intimidated by cooking squash, cause I never know how long to cook it so that it will turn out perfectly tender. But recipes exist for a reason so I figured I should give it a shot! My parents are getting used to being the guinea pigs for my experimentation in the kitchen.

I must say, as usual, this turned out great! Such a good blend of flavors. If you like curry, definitely give this a try!

Curried Chicken & Squash

1 1/2 c. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 c. red onion, chopped
3 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. water
2 tsp. safflower oil
1 c. lite coconut milk
1 c. unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. dried cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil over med-high heat with onions and garlic until onions are transluscent. Add squash, chicken, jalapeno, pepper, and water. Cover and cook, stirring occaisionally, for about 15 minutes, until squash is fork-tender. Uncover and add both milks and curry powder and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes. Add dried cilantro (fresh works too, i just didnt have any), salt and pepper. Serve alone or with rice!

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment