Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Vegan, GF Enchiladas! Just like mom used to make...kinda

Hiieee friends!
Once again, I've abandoned you for a whole week. I'm sorry! Life has been crazy with job hunting, house hunting, and most importantly, playing in the sun! I had a pretty awesome weekend; saw Katy Perry in concert with my sister, spent a LOT of time boating, participated in a pub crawl...makes it tough to get back in the swing of things when a new week starts.

The good news is, I did pick up a second job, so that lessens the job search a little, and there is a very good chance the house search could be over by the end of the week, so more time to make up some recipes for you guys! Especially cause Joe and I are getting sick of cooking the same dishes every night, so we are trying to branch out.

My mom used to make these KILLER homemade enchiladas that were basically corn, wheat and dairy all mixed together and cooked...needless to say I haven't had those in a while. But I'd been craving that recipe and I knew I could probably figure out a way to make them, so I attempted it last night. I used soy curls instead of chicken, because we tried soy curls at Blossoming Lotus that were marinated in enchilada sauce they tasted just like chicken, no joke. It got the Joe Kemp (aka non-gluten free and non-vegan) seal of approval, so I figured it was worth sharing!

Mom's Enchiladas (Vegan, GF, corn free)
Serves 2-3

1-2 cans enchilada sauce (if you are avoiding tomatoes, use a tomatillo one like I did...its the green one)
6 small GF tortillas (we used French Meadow but they do have a trace amount of corn, you can also use Food for Life and tear them in half or just make super-sized enchiladas haha)
~1/2 c. Wayfare Mexi Cheddar Style Spread (if you can't get this, I'm assuming any vegan cheese spread will do)
1/2 c. Daiya pepperjack shreds
1 1/2 c. soy curls

Heat about 3/4 of the enchilada sauce over medium high heat until warm. Stir in soy curls and remove from heat, letting them sit at least 20 minutes if possible (they will soften up more in the oven, but the longer you can marinate them the better). Take each tortilla and spread about a tablespoon of chedder spread in the middle. Top with soy curls and daiya cheese, roll up, and place in a square baking dish. Use a toothpick to hold them together if needed. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce (the more you use the softer they'll be) and sprinkle more Daiya over the top. Cook in oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

They aren't a perfect replica of my mom's enchiladas (they were packed FULL of cheese), but they'll definitely do in a vegan pinch! I'm just happy I can make enchiladas again! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Have a wonderful week, and if you live in the Portland area, make sure to check out the Oregon Brewers Festival this weekend....they are FINALLY serving a gluten free beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment