Thursday, June 30, 2011

Some thoughts on Hummus (includes recipe for Raw Hummus)

Hello my friends!

Fourth of July weekend is upon us, and I can't tell you how excited I am for some sunshine on my four day weekend. I plan on spending as much time on the boat/at BBQs/camping on government island as possible watching other people get wasted and soberly nursing my stupid parasite problem. At least I will be amused...

To kick off my weekend, this morning I got some cavaties filled! Yayyy!! Haha not...apparently that's what happens when you avoid the denist for two years. Oopsie! Won't be making that mistake again. My appointment was at 8 am and the left side of my face is still completely numb (its noon...). This is what I looked like trying to smile at 9:30...have a good laugh people:




I'm starting to get hungry for lunch, so that better go away real fast.

Moving on...

As the title suggests, this post is entirely dedicated to one of my favorite foods....hummus! The way I eat it, it could honestly be its own food group. It's THAT good. Never tried it before? Don't worry, I won't lead you astray, I'm a bit of a hummus snob so you're only getting the best of the best!

I'm sure you are already aware that I'm a huge King Harvest fan, there is no question they make the best hummus I've ever had. What you don't know is that they have a new flavor, and its easily one of my new favorites! Get this...Seaweed Hummus! So perfect for me right? Now I know that probably sounds hella weird, but honestly, give it a try. It's not fishy or anything, its freaking delicious. Be open minded people! My new thing (and keep in mind that I'm a very strange human being), is spreading seaweed hummus on a sheet of nori with some raw dill sauerkraut (which is baller for digestion). It's amazing, I swear.

My newest hummus-related find is The Hummus Stop. I discovered them at the Vancouver Farmer's Market where they were selling homemade hummus, babaganouj, fresh pita chips and other bomb-looking stuff. While their price is a little too high for my liking (5 freaking bucks for a little container, come on people, I'm a poor blogger), they have the most interesting flavors. I splurged and bought four... Artichoke, Roasted Garlic and Chive, Jalapeno and Cilantro and Avocado and Cilantro. They are all bomb. I still prefer King Harvest as far as texture goes, but the flavors of the Hummus Stop are so different, I can't help but be impressed with their creativity! It definitely inspired me to be a little more creative with my homemade hummus. Last week, I made a traditional hummus recipe with fresh oregano and chives from our CSA share...UNREAL. By the way, if you get a CSA share with tons of herbs you don't know what to do with, throw them in hummus, its almost guaranteed to be good.

So here's my new thing, this is a great way to make your hummus last. I've been using hummus as salad dressing! I love salads, I have one every day for lunch, but most of the time I don't have time in the morning to make a really good dressing from scratch. I tried this one morning and have been doing it ever since! Mix 1-2 tbsp of your favorite hummus with 1-2 tbsp of water and mix until the hummus reaches a salad dressing consistancy. You can add more or less water depending on how thick you like your dressing. Pour it over salad and voila! The best I've made into dressing is the King Harvest Jalapeno hummus. It brings a whole new dimension to my salads!

As much as I love hummus, I'm sad to report that eating too much of it really doesn't make me feel great. I don't know if I'm mildly sensitive to garbanzos or what but every once in a while I need a break. Plus, I try to eat mostly raw foods at breakfast and lunch, so hummus doesn't tend to fit in. If you are in the same boat, never fear! I found a recipe for Raw Hummus that will blow your mind! It's made with a zucchini base (whoever thought zucchini could replace chickpeas?), but pretty much all the other ingredients are the same! I tweaked it a little bit to make use of some of the stuff I bought at my local farmer's market.

Yumm, fresh local zucchini and yellow zucchini :)

Almost done! So freaking good. The recipe is as follows:

Raw Hummus

1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow zucchini, chopped (if these aren't in season, use 2 zucchini)
1/2 c. raw tahini (I like Artisana brand, so much better than the roasted stuff!)
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
dash of olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until desired constistancy is reached. Any add-ins you might use in a normal hummus recipe should work here. I've tried basil and oregano (delicious!), and I'm sure any herbs, jalapenos, whatever would be bomb as well. It's definitely a little different that your average hummus, but my "normal-eating" boyfriend Joe loved it, so that's always a sign that I succeeded!

So have a happy, hummus-y 4th of July! Have a gluten-free beer for me, since I can't :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment