Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pumpkin Soup with Jicama Turnip Salad

I'm housesitting this week, meaning I've literally only been at my house to cook and eat dinner. Since I have a dog waiting for me to let her out at the other house, I can't spend a whole lot of time at home, so I've been preparing meals that can be made fairly quickly.

Housesitting has been awesome. It's basically been some much needed girls nights, complete with wine and 80s chick flicks. I seriously have the best friends ever.

Anyways, getting back on track. Last night's menu had a very autumn-y feel to it, and I'm so excited to bring this recipe back in the fall. The salad, at least, was light and summery, so it wasn't too bad a meal to eat in the 90 degree heat. But it will definitely make more sense in a few months.

Pumpkin Soup

1 tbsp. butter or butter substitute
1 can pureed pumpkin
2 medium sweet potatoes, baked and pureed
1/4 c. almond butter
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
dash of nutmeg
salt and pepper

Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the pumpkin, pureed sweet potatoes, almond butter, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Add broth, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Makes about 4 servings.

Jicama Turnip Salad

1 medium jicama, chopped
2 turnips, peeled and chopped
1/4 c. cashews
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. wheat free tamari
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Combine jicama, turnips and cashews in a food processor and pulse until coarse, should look a bit like rice. Transfer to a large bowl and add tamari, vinegar and salt. Also great with a cup or arugala or spinach mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment