Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dairy Free Corn Free Nachos

I've gotten to a point that I eat so well most of the time that it is rare for me to try to recreate one of the less healthy dishes I used to love back in the pre-allergy, pre-vegan days. However, even I believe that everyone should be able to treat themselves once in awhile, and it's an added bonus if you can make that dish a little healthier.

I don't find that I crave any of that old stuff anymore (I mean really, I consider hummus junk food these days), but when I discovered Beanitos corn-free tortilla chips, I couldn't help but wonder how well they'd work in nachos. I used to LOVE nachos, in fact, whenever I go off my diet on vacation or whatever (which I don't recommend by the way but hey, it happens!), I search high and low to find the best nachos before anything else. I remember even having an eye out for a Mexican restaurant the entire 6 weeks I was in Greece (such a thing, I found, does not exist haha).

Sooo when I mentioned the possibility of nachos to my also-Beanitos-addicted boyfriend Joe, who I cook with quite a bit, he was all about it. Unfortunately, I'm not really supposed to be eating beans and rice and stuff as a part of my anti-parasite diet, so it kinda had to be a last hurrah.

This recipe serves roughly two people, Joe and I smashed them in minutes, but we were definitely full after (perfect time for a walk on the waterfront!). Feel free to get creative with toppings, these are the ingredients we used but fresh pico de gallo, refried beans, sauteed bell peppers, and Papa G's Taco Tofu would all be delicious as well!

Diary-Free Corn-Free Nachos

1 bag Beanitos black or pinto bean chips
1 pkg. Daiya chedder cheese shreds (or add/replace with pepper jack to give it an extra kick)
1/2 can black beans
1/4 c. chopped onion
1-2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1/2 can sliced black olives

Heat oven on the "Broil" setting. Place chips on a lipped baking sheet (so the toppings don't slide off in transit to the oven), and top with beans, onions, jalapenos and olives. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Broil with oven door open until cheese is melted, checking often, approximately 3-5 minutes depending on your oven. Serve with fresh guacamole, pico de gallo, and Wayfare dairy free sour cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment